A donor-advised fund (DAF) provides donors with a centralized charitable giving vehicle. It allows philanthropically inclined individuals, families and corporations to make an irrevocable charitable gift to a participating public charity and take an immediate tax deduction.
Most organizations which sponsor DAFs—including the Ounce of Prevention Fund—accept cash equivalents, securities, and certain other assets. Donors then use their DAF to support qualified charitable organizations over time. For more information, email giving@theOunce.org.
How Does It Work?
- Establish your donor-advised fund by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program, such as the Ounce of Prevention Fund.
- Advise the investment allocation of the donated assets (any investment growth is tax-free).
- Recommend grants to qualified public charities of your choice.
To include the Ounce of Prevention Fund in your plans, please use the following information:
- Legal Name: Ounce of Prevention Fund
Ounce of Prevention Fund
P.O. Box 775767
Chicago, IL 60677-5767
- Federal Tax ID: 36-3186328
What are the benefits?
- Simplicity: The DAF sponsor handles all record-keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
- Flexibility: The timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making.
- Tax-efficiency: Contributions are tax-deductible and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long-term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support multiple charities from one block of stock.
- Family Legacy: A donor-advised fund is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
- Privacy: Donors may choose to remain anonymous to the grant recipient.