COVID-19 has caused nearly 75,000 schools across the country to close for the foreseeable future – leaving half of all children in the U.S. without their daily in-classroom routine. This unprecedented crisis is forcing parents to have often-difficult conversations with young children, and also take on the challenging role of teacher. While this unplanned time at home may be overwhelming for the whole family, it offers parents an opportunity for new ways of learning and playing with children.
For nearly 40 years, the Ounce has been committed to delivering and supporting best-in-class programs for children and families from birth through age 5. To help deliver on our mission during this unpredictable time, we have gathered a variety of our own expert-created resources and several resources from our partners that can be used by parents to provide easy and engaging education experiences to young children. In addition, parents can reference the variety of tips listed to help navigate COVID-19 discussions and situations at home. Follow the Ounce Facebook page for more educational activities and parenting tips.
For the most up to date information on COVID-19, visit the CDC website.
- From Our Classroom to Yours – Early learning activities created by Ounce early learning experts to enhance your child’s learning during each stage of their development.
- Resources from the Experts – Activities to do with your child at home and tips to help prepare them for a life of learning.
- PBS Kids – Educational activities and tips to help kids learn and play at home.
- PBS Parents – Get age-by-age tips and activities to help your child learn and grow.
- Vroom – Easy tips and activities to make everyday moments into brain building moments for parents and children up to age 5.
- Monterey Aquarium – Enjoy a virtual visit and meet the animals through the aquarium’s video series.
- Starfall – Reading and math activities for children in pre-k and kindergarten.
- Storyline Online – Children’s books read aloud with interactive illustrations and activities to help inspire a love of reading.
- Vooks – A streaming library of kid-safe animated storybooks.