Last Friday, the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) unveiled the second draft of its Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) State Plan. ISBE is hosting a third round of listening tours to gather input on the latest draft of the State Plan. As you recall, ISBE already hosted listening tours in the spring. This current round of listening tours allows you to voice input on specific portions of the State Plan.
ISBE still has the opportunity to strengthen the State Plan by adding more references to important early learning provisions. Your participation is necessary to ensure early learning is a central element of the State Plan, which is expected to be fully implemented by the 2017–2018 school year.
Eight meetings are scheduled throughout the state beginning on Monday, November 28, through Thursday, December 8.
Below is a full list of the listening sessions, all occurring from 5–7pm:
Monday, November 28
- Chicago Public School District 299, Schurz High School, 3601 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago
- Jacksonville School District 117, Jacksonville High School, 1211 N. Diamond St., Jacksonville
Thursday, December 1
- Indian Prairie School District 204, Indian Prairie School District Crouse Education Center, 780 Shoreline Dr., Aurora
Monday, December 5
- Proviso Township High School District 209, Proviso Math and Science Academy, 8601 West Roosevelt Rd., Forest Park
Tuesday, December 6
- Chicago Public School District 299, Austin Town Hall, 5610 W. Lake St., Chicago
Wednesday, December 7
- Crystal Lake School District 47, Bernotas Middle School, 170 N. Oak St., Crystal Lake
- Galesburg School District 205, Silas Willard Elementary School, 460 Fifer St., Galesburg
Thursday, December 8
- Decatur Public School District 61, Eisenhower High School, 1200 S. 16th St., Decatur
We’ve put together some talking points, which we hope will help you prepare any personal remarks or written comments.
In addition, ISBE released resources including plan highlights, FAQs and a soon to be released reader’s guide. If you can’t attend the meetings, email your comments to ISBE. Comments are due by December 27.
Please contact us if you have questions.